Monday, November 14, 2011

Table Redo with Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

Ok so this took me a while to do and post about, because this house is one big project, and I find that I work on what my 3 little boys will let me work on each day, so sometimes I'm working on the floor or table because they are otherwise occupied and they don't care what I am doing (during the baby's nap) or sometimes they need me to be by them so I work on little projects I can do in the toy room or tv room and still be near them. This table didn't turn out as I had hoped, but it will do and I think once my walls aren't bare it will all come together.
So I started with this very boring table that we have had for years, I wanted to stain it a beautiful dark mahogany, I thought it would be a breeze because I have worked with this stain on furniture before, and I love how it turns out.

So I started off deglossing the whole table and then sanded it down really good. I filled the ugly cracks and blemishes with wood filler then sanded it down one more time, I used a Minwax wood conditioner over the whole table because I really wanted a uniform look. Then it was time to stain. Staining can be messy, but in general it is pretty darn easy......apply, wait 5-15 minutes, then wipe off. WELL.......This time it wasn't so easy, it was a big FAT FAIL!!! The wood stained so terribly blotchy that there was no way to fix it, and believe me I tried anyway, I tried to do a few more coats, I tried to add more stain to only the light splotchy areas, I even tried to blend it all together by using a glaze, NOTHING!!


It just seemed to get worse. I realized that I was going to have to paint, then I got a bright idea.......My husband HATES the look of painted cabinets and I've been wanting to redo our cabinets (imagine ugly brown that has been worn down and scratched and the previous owner tried to hide the wear and scratches with a mismatched reddish brown marker) but we don't have money to buy new and he wont paint, so we as of now they stay ugly.... So (back to my bright idea) I decided that I would try the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations on my table so my husband could see that painted wood is not as bad as he thinks...
So following the instructions for redoing cabinets, I went to town on my table.
The end result in my opinion was only OK I guess I was expecting a richer color and more depth once I put the glaze on. Oh well, it will work for now. (click here for tutorial on Upholstered Chairs)

I had a ton of the cabinet transformation paint left over from my table so I thought I might as well keep going... This time I tried it on an actual cabinet, our bathroom vanity needs to be replaced but we don't have the $$$ right now so why not transform it right??? Well I am so glad I did because I think it turned out much better than the table did. Maybe that is why it is called "Cabinet Transformations" and not "Table Transformations" (sorry about the messy picture, I wasn't planning on this being a before pic)




I think I may have gotten a little closer to convincing my husband that painting the old cabinets wont turn out so awful after all.

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I think the table and bathroom look awesome!

    I really think you should paint the cabinets too. And do it soon. I've been saying I'd do it for over four years at my house. And now it looks like we are going to move. So now I won't becuase I won't be able to enjoy it.

    Also LOVE the runner on your table! Does it match your couch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it doesn't match my couch. The runner was made from an old drape I found at the thrift store for $3. I got the couch from craigslist for only $60 but you'll see it better when I get that room all put together. You should tell Mark that you think we should do the cabinets too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! You are a trooper painting those big pieces of furniture!!
    I saw your link at doobiedoos link party, Just want to say hi and compliment you on that pretty table runner!
    I am a new follower. It is so nice to meet you and I hope you could come by and visit me sometime :)

    all the blessings,
    Myric
    http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'm new at the blogging thing, but having fun redoing my house so I thought I would document it...I'm excited to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, I love how the table turned out. Very classy. I hear the money issue big time. We want new counter tops, but there is no money to get rid of the ugly purplish ones. I found a Rustoleum Countertop paint the other day that I think that I am going to give a try. We will have to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!! I've heard of that paint, you should let me know how it turns out, I'd really be interested to see pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That table and the bathroom look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, the vanity looks awesome! You should show us a close up of the table, but from what I can see it looks very nice. Love the color, so rich. Did you poly over the table? I need to do mine but have been so nervous to do it. Thanks for the inspiration. Over from Deebie's Newbie party, great blog. I'm a new follower and I look forward to following along on your exciting journey!! Come on over and visit anytime http:// ourbluefrontdoor.bloodspot.com
    Would love for you to follow

    Have a great week,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job, looks amazing! The table looks so rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! How is the table holding up? I'm thinking of painting my dining table and was curious if this would be the best (easiest) way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What color rustoleum did you choose?

    ReplyDelete

If You Like This, You'll Love These!!